Monday, March 7, 2011

Media Violence in my House

           For years the increase of violence in children has been blamed on the increase of violence in our media.  To an extent, I agree. But, it is not just the increased violence in films and games causing this; there is an increase of violence being shown on the news as well.  However, I also think that nowadays children are by themselves more than they used to be.  Many children today do not have the guidance from their parents to be taught that the stuff they see on TV or play on their games is fantasy. 
          With my own children I follow the age guidelines recommended on the films and view the films before my children do.  If by chance they see something violent, on TV or in real life for that matter, I talk to them about it and ask questions about how they feel about what they saw.  We have an open door policy in our house and the kids are free to ask me anything about any subject.  When kids have the proper guidance, they feel more secure and are able to process the negative things they see in the media.  

No comments:

Post a Comment