Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lessons from an Interview

In class last Wednesday our assignment was to interview a classmate.  We were given eight sample questions but urged to ask some of our own questions as well.  The objective of this interview was to get as much information as possible so that I would be able to write two profiles on the individual for different audiences.
I was immediately nervous thinking that I had to pick someone to interview.  I did not know anyone in the class.  To my relief, my teacher paired us up and I was able to skip the uncomfortable worries and wasted time finding a partner.
 Some of the sample questions were hard to answer.  A few of the questions included, "How do you see yourself as a person?" and "What do you want out of life?"  It's not every day that you get asked those questions.  Those questions took some time to answer and even now I am thinking about how to answer them personally.
It was interesting to find out about where my classmate was from and why he is attending college.  The interview gave me some insight on how he described himself and what his view of success was.  I noticed a yellow Live Strong bracelet that he was wearing.  He said he liked to help people and I thought the bracelet was evidence and a reminder of his statement.
Overall I think I gained surface knowledge about my classmate from the interview.  I intend on writing a profile that focuses on his career goals and another on how he is an interesting person.

No comments:

Post a Comment