Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Surprising Interest

While reading several profiles, one by Sean Smith on Johnny Depp piqued my interest.  Truth be told, I was surprised by my reactions towards the profile.  I had never really cared for Johnny Depp in the past.  While I have enjoyed many of his films, I would never run out to see a movie just because he was in it.
"Fatherhood has a way of changing iconoclasts."  This was the first sentence in Sean Smiths profile.  First of all, I had no idea what the definition of an iconoclast was so I had to look it up in the dictionary.  Iconoclast is a person who attacks, or may I say disagrees with, settled beliefs or institutions.  Iconoclasts are also known as free spirits, non-conformists, and individualist.  Being all of that myself, I took interest in reading further.
I read briefly about Depp's journey growing up and how he became an actor. Quotes from previous directors and producers filled the paragraphs.  A couple of sentences describing his wife and children followed.  I very much liked how Depp wanted to make a movie for his children.  When Depp was at Disney and found out that the studio was developing a movie based on the theme park ride Pirates of the Caribbean, and that it was to be a "real pirate movie" with "real swords", he wanted in.  I  find it funny that Depp made Pirates of the Caribbean with Disney because Disney is so main stream and Depp has been known to be in movies that are strange and  that do not make a lot of money. Despite Disney being main stream and conservative, Depp was still able to put his own individuality on the character and essentially make the character of Jack Sparrow himself.
While fatherhood did change Depp by giving him a sense of meaning outside of being an actor, Deep still holds on to his non-conformity and individuality.  Deep never wanted to be on lunch pails or on the posters that line teen-age girls' walls and while his face is plastered on them now, it was done on his terms while still being a free spirit and staying true to himself.
Now that I have formed this new opinion about Johnny Depp, I just might have to see every movie that he has been in and look forward to seeing Pirates of The Caribbean again so that I might appreciate what he brings to the screen and possesses as an individual.


No comments:

Post a Comment