Monday, February 7, 2011

An Irked Realization

I am irked.  I was reading a Textual Analyses on poverty and the US.  Habitat for Humanity was brought up in the article.  I have mixed feeling about Habitat.
My parents divorced when my sister and I were in middle school.  My dad never paid his child support, provided health insurance, or anything a good father should have done.  My mom took care of us herself.  My mom was on disability and barley made $1200 a month, which included my sister and I’s social security.  Once you took out rent ($450) and the other bills, there was not much, if anything, left.  Now, my mom did the best she could but it was still very hard for my family.  We did not live in a nice house but rented a trailer, which looking back now probably was filled with fire-code violations.  We ate what we could afford, which was not much, and did not really get any of the extras, or needs for that matter, in life.  
Anyway, my mom sent in an application to Habitat for Humanity hoping to provide her children with a safe home.  She was DENIED!!  They said she made too much money….are you kidding me???  One adult and two children living on $1200 a month is too much?  We were living way under the poverty level yet no one helped.  No one cared.  I thought they were supposed to help those who lived in poverty?
 I agree and think it’s wonderful that Habitat is helping people build homes.  But, their message about wanting to end poverty is not going to happen when they forget about those who live it.
While writing this blog I realized I do not do enough to help others that are in the situation I was once in.  I need to help others and volunteer my time and money. I need to help.  I also realized and am grateful for everything my mom did for my sister and me.  Thanks mom:)

No comments:

Post a Comment